Friday, June 08, 2007

Releasing Catch

Finally, after over two years of work, I've released Catch! I recommend people use the tarball on hackage. The manual has all the necessary installation instructions. To make installation easier, rather than following the Cabal route of releasing lots of dependent libraries, I've take the transitive closure and shoved them into one .cabal file.

I've had the release prepared for some time, but was waiting until after the ICFP reviewing had finished (I got rejected :( ), to make a release, because of their anonymity requirements. Now that's all finished, I invite everyone to download and try Catch.

The final release is only 2862 lines of code, which doesn't seem like much for two years worth of work. The actual analysis is only 864 lines long, of which about half the lines are blank, and one or two are comments. If you include all the Yhc.Core libraries, my proposition library, my boilerplate removal library (all of which were developed to make Catch possible), you end up with just under 8000 lines of code. Still substantially shorter than my A-level computing project, which I wrote in C++.

Catch has seen a bit of real world use, particular in HsColour, where it found two crashing bugs, and XMonad where it influenced the design of the central API. I'm starting to routinely Catch check all the libraries I release, which is a good sign. One of the things that restricts Catch from being more widely used is the lack of Haskell 98 code in general use - Catch is in no way limited to Haskell 98, but Yhc which Catch uses as a front end is. Hopefully the Haskell' standard will encourage more people to code to a recognised standard, and increase the utility of source code analysis/manipulation tools.


If anyone does try out Catch, and has any comments, please do email me (ndmitchell @at@ gmail .dot. com). If you take the time to check your program with Catch you are welcome to use the "Checked by Catch logo".

2 comments:

Jean-Philippe Bernardy said...

I'm very disappointed that your paper was rejected by ICFP. To me, Catch is a very relevant achievement for the Haskell/functional community.

Neil Mitchell said...

jyp: Thanks for the comment, but the ICFP reviewers were very fair, and there were just a few too many minor mistakes in some places to meet the high standards of ICFP. I'll be resubmitting (minus the mistakes) to Haskell workshop.