Friday, May 28, 2004

Cancel

I'm using Word, and because of the brilliant install only some things and install the rest on demand, I keep clicking on buttons which bring up the install thing. While this may be a great feature on networks, I never have the Word CD in the drive (the CD Drive is a place for storing Red Alert 2). Because of this, and knowing how much it annoys me, I set every possible feature to Do Not Install, rather than Install On First Run. Yet it appears with every release, more and more features lack this Do Not Install setting, and everything ends up being Install On First Run.

That annoys me, but what really annoys me is the Windows Install logic behind the Install On First Run. When I click somewhere that is not available, Word brings up a little progress bar with a cancel button and the progress bar flys along. When I click the cancel button the progress bar then flys back in reverse (yes, this isn't exactly logical, have I managed to turn back time?) and the box goes away. But instantly another box takes its place, doing the same thing over again. By repeatedly pressing Cancel I can get this little dialog appearing and disappearing, flying progress bars in both directions, but never actually cancelling. Rather unintuatively, it appears that the only way to cancel this process is to not press cancel!

Ah well, back to the open assessment. To be fair on Word, the new formatting sidebar answers so many issues I would be quite happy to accept Word 2002 even if they removed lowercase.

No comments: